- RoleDemolition Consultant and Principal Designer
- TeamStephen McCann – Mick Daynes – Shaun Stephenson
We worked for Rotala on this project which was situated 400m from Preston North End FC stadium, in the heart of Lancashire.
This project involved non-licensed asbestos removal, and demolition of 4 buildings within the live bus depot.
The site-specific constraints included a strict traffic management system as access to the rear of the site was required 24/7. The asbestos removal had to be undertaken in four stages to allow this. On top of this, two live fuel pumps and a bus wash, both situated in the entrance to the building, had to be protected and available for use at the end of each shift.
The steel structure directly above the pumps had to be removed with precision to keep them intact.
The demolition method was progressive fragmentation using demolition rigs and various attachments, including hydraulic shears and breakers.
We were appointed as the Demolition Consultant and Principal Designer for the project, where we began by checking the Principal Contractor’s Construction Phase Plan (CPP) and reviewing the Risk Assessment and Method Statement (RAMS).
Throughout the works, we carried out audits which were planned to coincide with the specific phases of the project which started with the CDM compliance audit and continued with process-specific demolition audits.
- Produce the Pre-Construction Information.
- Review and comment on the Construction Phase Plan and issue a report.
- Review and comment on the Risk Assessments and Method Statement and issue a report.
- Carry out the pre-start CDM site audit and issue a report.
- Carry out the demolition process site audits and issue a report.
- Give input on the revised demolition method and exclusion zone.
- Review and comment on the asbestos Plan of Works and issue report.
- Carry out monthly site audits and issue a report on the progress.
- Carry out the completion site audit and issue a report.
- Ensure the completion of the Health & Safety File.